• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

"troubling" and "I don't think that's helpful" are pretty weak words to use but overall that's a solid observation from the PM.
As others have mentioned here, Canada is walking a tightrope as we were one of the main pushers for the ICC in general, but also allied at the hip with the US.

This is Biden’s complete statement:
The ICC prosecutor’s application for arrest warrants against Israeli leaders is outrageous. And let me be clear: whatever this prosecutor might imply, there is no equivalence — none — between Israel and Hamas. We will always stand with Israel against threats to its security.

I wouldn’t want to be JT’s speechwriter because the words can’t be seen as too strong to either side. Our govts pushed to have the ICC as a thing in the 2000s, so we can’t be seen to shut them down. But then we can’t be seen to be too far opposed to the US. The PM’s statements seem to be mealy-mouthed and vague…which is what we probably need to do at this point.

As others have mentioned here, Canada is walking a tightrope as we were one of the main pushers for the ICC in general, but also allied at the hip with the US.

This is Biden’s complete statement:

I wouldn’t want to be JT’s speechwriter because the words can’t be seen as too strong to either side. Our govts pushed to have the ICC as a thing in the 2000s, so we can’t be seen to shut them down. But then we can’t be seen to be too far opposed to the US. The PM’s statements seem to be mealy-mouthed and vague…which is what we probably need to do at this point.

There is a difference between a forum and an authority.

The ICC as a forum may be a good thing. The ICC as an authority is another thing entirely.

A related issue is that Europe adheres to the tribunal system which effectively makes the prosecutor an agent of the court rather than a supplicant to the court as in the common law system.

Back