• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

Just thinking through the numbers...

efP Latvia from what I can tell currently has around 1,000 troops deployed. I'm not sure if that includes the fairly recently added 15-tank armoured squadron or not. A doctrinal 19-tank armoured squadron is 123 personnel so I'm guessing that would mean somewhere between 107 and 123 personnel there.

The flyover Light Battalion would add 593 personnel (Generation Strength. Establishment is 833) plus however many in the Brigade HQ.

So, 1,000 (eFP Latvia) + 123 (Tank Sqn) + 593 (Light Battalion) = 1716 which would leave around 484 for the Brigade HQ and any other additional forces we add to the deployment. If you calculate the Light Battalion as its full Establishment strength of 833 then you're only looking at 244 personnel left for the Brigade HQ and additional elements.
That's all good math. But I don't think it's factoring in the RCAF deployment of 4 Griffons (flight crew + ground crew) nor the additional armoured squadron

Those 2 additional capabilities will bring us closer to the 2,200 number that's been touted.

I’m fairly certain the light Bn is not included in the 2200.
In the 2200 you do need to include the aviation Det, MPs, Medical along with the elements outside of and above Bde such as the NSE and TFL along with the small number of pers associated with MND-N.

You’re likely looking at close to 200 just in those smaller elements by my guess.

So in Latvia for the brigade Canada is contributing about half of the EFP (one tank squadron, one lav company, one artillery battery, one engineer squadron; plus logistical assets). Separately were also deploying an addition tank squadron, a flight of tac helos, and brigade support and logistical assets?

Is the second tank squadron a new addition, have they announced it? We also have a light infantry battalion ready to fly-over as needed or as scheduled. It would seem will have a lot mechanized battalions at home not contributed to this brigade. Which is interesting considering how vital it seems any and all amour protection is in the war in Ukraine.

Back