• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forecasting time commitment for PRes

MrPeanut

Inactive
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I've been seriously considering applying to join the reserves this year. Reading around the different requirements and trainings I can't for the life of me figure out if certain things are available modularly or part-time (I'm assuming it really depends). I can do a max of 4 weeks a summer (or whenever), could probably push to 5 depending. The weekly and weekend pieces are zero issue though.

I'm not fussy about NCM or Officer ranks or even matching the trade with my skills - degree, experience in law enforcement, IT, and logistics. I was advised that Artillery and Armor are relatively short or modulated courses and that admin functions and logistics are incredibly long but I've no official word on that (41 CBG is my local group).

I know that the best path for clarity is to sit down with the local recruiters but I was hoping to lean on the collective experience here to get a general idea if I'm on a hiding to nothing before I set wheels in motion.

Cheers,

Mr Peanut

Afternoon all,

I've been seriously considering applying to join the reserves this year. Reading around the different requirements and trainings I can't for the life of me figure out if certain things are available modularly or part-time (I'm assuming it really depends). I can do a max of 4 weeks a summer (or whenever), could probably push to 5 depending. The weekly and weekend pieces are zero issue though.

I'm not fussy about NCM or Officer ranks or even matching the trade with my skills - degree, experience in law enforcement, IT, and logistics. I was advised that Artillery and Armor are relatively short or modulated courses and that admin functions and logistics are incredibly long but I've no official word on that (41 CBG is my local group).

I know that the best path for clarity is to sit down with the local recruiters but I was hoping to lean on the collective experience here to get a general idea if I'm on a hiding to nothing before I set wheels in motion.

Cheers,

Mr Peanut

Sounds like you've got the makings for the perfect Reservist.

RESO/ Officer training is a big time commitment though, usually from May to August, and mainly targets university students so you might not be looking at Commissioned Officer service.

No worries though as there are alot of great trades out there for NCMs.

Sounds like you've got the makings for the perfect Reservist.

RESO/ Officer training is a big time commitment though, usually from May to August, and mainly targets university students so you might not be looking at Commissioned Officer service.

No worries though as there are alot of great trades out there for NCMs.
That's good to know cheers, fingers crossed the stars can align on a workable trade.

Caveat: I'm more involved with Health Services training; however have a couple Logistic Officer that fall under my umbrella; so with that said logistic officer training is long before you reach your occupational function point. You have to do BMOQ (Basic Training), BMOQ(L) also called BMOQ(A) in some locations, this is your environmental training; then you have to do the Logistics Officer Common Course (LOCC), Logistics Officer Course - Land (LOCL); plus a specialty course in Finance, Supply, Administration (I've heard rumours that Transport is no longer a specialty course).

Honestly each NCM occupation has it's own standards, you hit the nail on the head by stating you plan on talking to the local recruiter. I know there are a few reserve recruiting kicking around this board. Best of luck in your journey.

Back