• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)

Saltwater environment attacks metal via a chemical, electrical and biological means. In fact the only reason that the large merchants ships can be economical is because of advances in modern paint technology.

Don't forget your sacrificial anodes.

I was reading through the new edition of Canadian Defence Review when I saw some interesting information. The image below is low quality but it seems Vard has shown off a "new" Vigilance concept. I initially thought it was a reused old rendering but they did add a maple leaf to the funnel alongside the pennant number of an MCDV follow on. As far as I can tell, this model is unique and largely changed from the previous proposals. What looks to me like a Bofors 40mm Mk4 is added forward alongside perhaps a 30mm gun mount adjacent to the mast? UAV deck and multi-mission deck has been changed around alongside the small boat arrangement. Grain of salt as per usual but potentially more relevant when taking into consideration the next point.

Screenshot (3806).png

They have an article talking about a "new Canadian Multi-Mission Corvette (CMC) program" which apparently exists according to them and the CDR.

A new Canadian Multi-mission Corvette (CMC) Project has been created by the Department of Defence (DND) to replace the Royal Canadian Navy's (RCN's) existing 12 Kingston-class Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs) that are approaching 30 years of service. CDR asked Quebec-Bureau Chief, Peter Diekmeyer, to speak with Team Vigilance to get an update on their offering to the Canadian government and learn more about the Vigilance-class vessel. Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy continues to drive the revitalization of domestic naval supply chains. However, experts have long recognized emerging gaps. For example, the RCN's 12 Kingston-class MCDVs that need to be replaced — for which the Canadian Multi-mission Corvette (CMC) Project has been set-up. In recent months, this ambitious initiative — which opens a range of replacement options — has acquired renewed momentum.

Screenshot (3807).png

Vard also has this apparent program listed on their current DND projects. I haven't heard of this program being announced even though it has been rumored for years at this point. Did Vard just leak the program officially or is this just their marketing?

Back