• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Part time BMQ - Reserve

Aper

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of rejoining the CAF. I've been 4 years as a Regular at 12RBC in Valcartier, deployed once back in 07-08, and now i'm joining back but in the reserve.

I have a few questions about the BMQ course that can be done either part-time or full time during summer. The thing is, i'm a single dad having my kids 50/50.

Is it possible to do the BMQ (because of course i'll have to do it again) only the weekends I don't have my kids with me ? Are the CAF flexible enough for Reservists to give out that option, or if it's really not flexible to a point where i'll need to find a solution for someone taking care of my kids during those weekends ?

I'm lucky enough to have a good relationship with my kids's mother, but it's not the case for everyone.

I've been told the Forces are much more flexible, but how flexible for this kind of issue ?

Many thanks :)

If you were fully qualified in your trade, you shouldn't need to redo BMQ.
Yeah that's the thing; I was armoured at 12RBC but now re-enlisting to the Reserve as a mobile support equipment operator. I believe this is why I need to redo the whole process.

If you have been out less than five years you should get a bypass on your recruit course.
I left 4C in 2008 after my deployment in A-Stan. We're talking 15 years later :p Is there a way to negociate the BMQ bypass during my interview ?

I left 4C in 2008 after my deployment in A-Stan. We're talking 15 years later :p Is there a way to negociate the BMQ bypass during my interview ?
Unlikely, in that case. And waiting for a PLAR reply on that might take longer than just doing the course.

Unlikely, in that case. And waiting for a PLAR reply on that might take longer than just doing the course.
Yeah that's what I thought. I mean, I don't mind redoing the BMQ; it's just the part where I need to deal with my kids and having them 50/50 as a single dad. It's either part-time or full time this summer which means several back-to-back weeks, which brings me to the same startng point.

Yeah that's what I thought. I mean, I don't mind redoing the BMQ; it's just the part where I need to deal with my kids and having them 50/50 as a single dad. It's either part-time or full time this summer which means several back-to-back weeks, which brings me to the same startng point.
Your trade course will be full time however. So even if your BMQ is done part time, you still have to figure out how to manage your time to do a full time trade course.

There is a MILPERSGEN directive (it is 5100.1) that covers BMQ equivalencies and expiry dates. My understanding is that if you completed a Reg F BMQ, and then completed DP1 training, your BMQ course is good for life. Reserve BMQs are more complicated, these courses usually expire after set periods of time.

Any other qualifications you did may or may not still be valid. The PLAR might grant you some of them, but given the length of time, it probably will not.

I will echo sarahsmom here - reserve DP1 courses require a full time commitment in the summer.

There is a MILPERSGEN directive (it is 5100.1) that covers BMQ equivalencies and expiry dates. My understanding is that if you completed a Reg F BMQ, and then completed DP1 training, your BMQ course is good for life. Reserve BMQs are more complicated, these courses usually expire after set periods of time.

Any other qualifications you did may or may not still be valid. The PLAR might grant you some of them, but given the length of time, it probably will not.

I will echo sarahsmom here - reserve DP1 courses require a full time commitment in the summer.
Yeah I was told from a bunch of different people that either my REG BMQ is good for life, some say it's been more than 5 years. It's not really clear nor black or white. I guess i'll have to check on Dec. 12 during my One-Day process with the recruiter what's eligible or not.

As for the NQ3, i've already planned out that it was full time so yeah, no doubt about that ;)

Thanks all for your responses. Appreciated.

Here is what I found out;

BMQ remains valid if you have reached OFP for life.

For mbrs who have not reached OFP but have been honourably released, BMQ validity depends on the time served:

less than 12 months=24 months valid

12-36 months=48 months valid

37-59 months=60 months valid

+60 months=10 years.

there is more to it depending on if you're army or what not.

Official reference for what i wrote above is Milpersgen directive 5100.1 Annex A NCM PD Equivalency Directive, ncm professional development validity matrix (that's a mouthful!) but when i go to search the DWAN it's a dead link as CDA is re-assessing the PLQ/ILP/ALP/SLP so they've removed it not redacted it.

I'm waiting on Ottawa to see if they'll credit my Regular BMQ. If not, full-time BMQ for Reserves is only 4 weeks which is manageable. I'll let you guys know.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on Ottawa to see if they'll credit my Regular BMQ. If not, full-time BMQ for Reserves is only 4 weeks which is manageable. I'll let you guys know.
Correction on this... it's not up to "ottawa" do decide. It's CTC Gagetown. Contrary to popular belief there isn't 1 place that PLAR's go. PLAR's go wherever the Training Authority is. For BMQ/BMOQ the Training Authority is CTC (Combat Training Centre). From my personal experience being the Training Authority for Health Services, I haven't seen CTC PLAR's take too long to be reviewed.

Correction on this... it's not up to "ottawa" do decide. It's CTC Gagetown. Contrary to popular belief there isn't 1 place that PLAR's go. PLAR's go wherever the Training Authority is. For BMQ/BMOQ the Training Authority is CTC (Combat Training Centre). From my personal experience being the Training Authority for Health Services, I haven't seen CTC PLAR's take too long to be reviewed.
Good to know. I'll send an email to the Capt. that interviewed me to see if the PLAR came back for this. It's been well over a month and a half now. Thanks for the head's up.

Back