• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transition to Municipal Police Force

There are lots of meetings where Surrey is coming up almost being invoked by all parties to find ways to TRY and cooperate to avoid anything resembling that transition. That will be its legacy.

Last edited:
Hidden camera footage of Surrey municipal government and police:

Season 3 Mayor GIF by The Simpsons

Maybe another lesson here is “have a referendum“!

What a shitshow.

Maybe another lesson here is “have a referendum“!

What a shitshow.
One problem with referendums - on any topic - is they ask a simple question to an often complex issue. They are like unscientific surveys. I imagine if one had been asked in the beginning, a lot of responses might have been along the lines of 'sure, why not', without any understanding of the issues involved. Additionally, their results can't be etched in stone. The might bind the current government or council, at least politically, but not a subsequent one.

That is a very good point. But I still think it would have been more legitimate and settled had the matter won a clear majority in a referendum. As it was, a small number of voters elected someone who promised a new service as part of a larger suite of promises, and a new mayor elected by a small number of voters mostly because the incumbent was a jackass. Both mayors embarked on huge changes to policing with little to no consultation for “reasons”. That’s before the Province got involved…

That’s before the Province got involved…
The province holds all the cards. Municipalities don’t have any status under the constitution — except for what’s delegated to them by the province — so as long as municipalities do what they are supposed to do, like plow the streets, collect the garbage, and do the work that the provinces can’t be bothered to do (but are crucial to the actual taxpayer) it all works fine. But when provinces and municipalities square off, and can’t get along, then the uncomfortable cracks in the system start to appear.

Like that while provinces own the problems, premiers tend to care more about problems in places that vote for them. And that the level of government that most closely interacts with the average citizen on day to day basis — municipal — is also the weakest and least empowered.

sigh

And I gather a big part of the judicial review is arguing that somehow the city has constitutional rights getting trampled on, notwithstanding that the municipality is purely a creation of the province. I don't think Locke is gonna win this one.

What a gong show.

Speaking of which, this should be fun to watch ;)

B.C. has right to order Surrey police transition, judge rules​

City was seeking judicial review of public safety minister's decision to order move to Surrey Police Service​

A B.C Supreme Court judge has upheld changes to the provincial Police Act that will force the City of Surrey to transition policing from the RCMP to a municipal force.

Justice Kevin Loo dismissed Mayor Brenda Locke's bid to halt the transition — a key promise of her 2022 municipal election campaign — after nearly two years of feuding with the B.C. government over the future of policing in the province's second largest and fastest growing municipality.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth announced the decision Thursday, saying the safety of Surrey residents has been at the centre of the province's efforts to push forward the transition to the Surrey Police Service (SPS), the municipal force initiated by Locke's predecessor Doug McCallum.

This has changed nothing. Including the lines from our management and Union "there's still no plan for takeover, don't worry!"

Meanwhile, all the troops want is out and it seems like the people in charge of us, and in charge of representing us are still working as hard as they can to delay this process out of spite.

I've lost count of the members I know whose career moves have been denied because they weren't released by Surrey Detachment. I'm one of them. Management continues to insist nobody's career has been unduly delayed, which is a egregious disconnect between the head shed and the front lines.

The initial "we'll send you where ever you want to go" rapidly gained a couple asterixis such as "but only in BC and only if you want to go to a contract spot, inter-divisional transfers still require a trade between divisions and don't you dare think we'll let you go to Federal Policing"

Morale is non-existent, burnout is real and verging on epidemic levels, the whole place is one more blow from toppling over. SPS and RCMP alike.

This has changed nothing. Including the lines from our management and Union "there's still no plan for takeover, don't worry!"

Meanwhile, all the troops want is out and it seems like the people in charge of us, and in charge of representing us are still working as hard as they can to delay this process out of spite.

I've lost count of the members I know whose career moves have been denied because they weren't released by Surrey Detachment. I'm one of them. Management continues to insist nobody's career has been unduly delayed, which is a egregious disconnect between the head shed and the front lines.

The initial "we'll send you where ever you want to go" rapidly gained a couple asterixis such as "but only in BC and only if you want to go to a contract spot, inter-divisional transfers still require a trade between divisions and don't you dare think we'll let you go to Federal Policing"

Morale is non-existent, burnout is real and verging on epidemic levels, the whole place is one more blow from toppling over. SPS and RCMP alike.
The mayor said she ll support the decision…surely…that has to mean this is over…ish….?

The mayor said she ll support the decision…surely…that has to mean this is over…ish….?
Over insofar as the City will stop fighting it? Sure.

Over as far as SPS taking over policing in the City and the RCMP letting us leave? Not a chance. They're losing more than they can hire, the Justice Institute is limited in how many recruits they can crank out, and like every single Police force in Canada they're struggling to hire recruits and experienced officers.

I, like many of my Surrey colleagues, am now openly looking for employment outside of Law Enforcement.

Over as far as SPS taking over policing in the City and the RCMP letting us leave? Not a chance. They're losing more than they can hire, the Justice Institute is limited in how many recruits they can crank out, and like every single Police force in Canada they're struggling to hire recruits and experienced officers.

I, like many of my Surrey colleagues, am now openly looking for employment outside of Law Enforcement.
Join the CAF?

LWOP for a while and take a Cl B til it blows over?

Join the CAF?
I've seen enough to know I want nothing to do with this mess full time. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my time in the PRes but even that is nearing its close.
LWOP for a while and take a Cl B til it blows over?
As above.

I may LWOP and take a tour though, I've always wanted one of those before I leave the PRes.

I'm looking at a Pilot's license, or perhaps I'll follow the family business into the Railroad industry. My grandfather worked for CN for 40 years, had nothing but good things to say about it. The pilot's license would be obscenly expensive and would require me to stick around as an LEO to pay for it longer than I think I have the patience for. I'm not sold on leaving yet, but if I don't start seeing people with a decade's more service than me being released in the near future, I'll know for certain I have no hope and it's time to go.

I've seen enough to know I want nothing to do with this mess full time. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my time in the PRes but even that is nearing its close.

As above.

I may LWOP and take a tour though, I've always wanted one of those before I leave the PRes.

I'm looking at a Pilot's license, or perhaps I'll follow the family business into the Railroad industry. My grandfather worked for CN for 40 years, had nothing but good things to say about it. The pilot's license would be obscenly expensive and would require me to stick around as an LEO to pay for it longer than I think I have the patience for. I'm not sold on leaving yet, but if I don't start seeing people with a decade's more service than me being released in the near future, I'll know for certain I have no hope and it's time to go.
Highly recommend railway

As above.

Highly recommend a tour. The higher pay would help offset the temporary financial hit, and it’s easier to get leave for an actual deployment.

Highly recommend a tour. The higher pay would help offset the temporary financial hit, and it’s easier to get leave for an actual deployment.
There is in fact a provision within the compensation policy of the CAF that they would pay me what (by my admittedly terrible math) is 96% of my RCMP pay while class C, which combined with tax free status is... a lot of money.

So I'm not in a rush, but I am allllll the way over this cluster of epic proportions and all the lies that have been thrown in our faces about the RCMP caring about us as members, our families and our future careers while they fight against this thing tooth and nail full well knowing how bad things are and refusing to replace us.

There is in fact a provision within the compensation policy of the CAF that they would pay me what (by my admittedly terrible math) is 96% of my RCMP pay while class C, which combined with tax free status is... a lot of money.

Unfortunately I believe this got shitcanned. @dapaterson I think you were talking about this previously?

Is Latvia tax free?

Back