• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

That sounds at least in the right neighbourhood, but that must also mean they're pulling in more than that, so if ALL off that revenue disappears, what's now the rebate pot will also be gone.

Good. Enough of the welfare from government.

That sounds at least in the right neighbourhood, but that must also mean they're pulling in more than that, so if ALL off that revenue disappears, what's now the rebate pot will also be gone.
The two billion net was what was left in general coffers after the rebate payout. As long as they keep profiting from the tax, it'll never be 'Net Zero'

Its "vote buying" when its a popular thing, but its a poison pill when the tide turns. If these programs are no longer sustainable and fail at a national level, what stops the PM from saying "well.. this is obviously a provincial matter, as per the Constitution, so go talk to Premier X..." when politically coconvenient.
That is his normal modus operandi. He never takes responsibility for anything that goes wrong. Even when he is the sole designer and perpetrator. Psychopathic narcissists are incapable of accepting blame.

Will there ever come a day when WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN stuff?
We…are? That’s what taxes are for, right?

Unless you’re suggesting that every single road should be a toll road (including sidewalks), you get charged for the police/fire/EMS services, etc.

We…are? That’s what taxes are for, right?

Unless you’re suggesting that every single road should be a toll road (including sidewalks), you get charged for the police/fire/EMS services, etc.
I am OK with some reasonable taxes for health care, defence, police, etc.

I am NOT OK with taxes to make consultants and Trudeau's inner circle multi-millionaires. Your spins are weak and too easy to tear down.

Re Boomers and Wealth.

Most Boomers that I am acquaint with have children. Some are lucky enough to have grandchildren.

Most everyone that I know supports their children and their grandchildren in cash and in kind. They also supply an insurance policy in the form of a fall back position - you can always come home.

And of course, when we shuffle off, there will be an additional transfer of assets.

Assuming, of course, that the government doesn't decide it wants to get in the way.

And of course, when we shuffle off, there will be an additional transfer of assets.

Assuming, of course, that the government doesn't decide it wants to get in the way.

An inheritance tax would not be out of the question from this government. There are billions of dollars waiting to be transferred, you bet the NDP/LPC want that gold mine. Best to get your name on any bank accounts and properties your parents have now!

Are you ok with $8500 of your annual tax dollars going to someone with 89k of income in retirement?
I am not sure I pay $8500 in taxes, maybe. I will have to check. Now tell me how YOU know that specifically $8500 of my tax money paid is going to who now?

More context. Stupid statements like that are very reductionist in thinking.
I am not sure I pay $8500 in taxes, maybe. I will have to check. Now tell me how YOU know that specifically $8500 of my tax money paid is going to who now?
Are you writing them a cheque? No- it's not that literal.

But it's the unfortunate reality that billions of dollars annually are going to high income retirees- much of that money coming from working age people, who are often making less.

It's not as much as a lightning rod as gross incompetence/ethics violations- but on dollar value it's more impactful to the countries bottom line

Are you writing them a cheque? No- it's not that literal.

But it's the unfortunate reality that billions of dollars annually are going to high income retirees- much of that money coming from working age people, who are often making less.

It's not as much as a lightning rod as gross incompetence/ethics violations- but on dollar value it's more impactful to the countries bottom line
Name a specific policy or benefit not just "marxist activist" blanket statements.

For example lets say Joe Blow has a pension he paid into that gives him $4500 month from his RRSP but Joe still paid CPP all his life, then hell no, I have no problem letting Joe take his CPP, he paid into it. If he were to defer it and lets say the government gave him a tax break for it, then that too would be cool.

Name a specific policy or benefit not just "marxist activist" blanket statements.

For example lets say Joe Blow has a pension he paid into that gives him $4500 month from his RRSP but Joe still paid CPP all his life, then hell no, I have no problem letting Joe take his CPP, he paid into it. If he were to defer it and lets say the government gave him a tax break for it, then that too would be cool.

Lemme ask you something. With the mindset present here, are you the same type of person who feels that even though I am 1/4 owner of my 95 acre farm that I should not be entitled to say VAC benefits? Or any other benefits?

Set me straight otherwise I don't think I like where your head is at.
OAS. As I have posted about multiple times, in detail through the thread. The current clawback threshold is at 90k, 15% clawback rate.

Nothing to do with CPP or VAC benefits.

Noted Marxist Activist Stephen Harper started us on the road to OAS reform before JT reversed course and increased it in a poorly targeted way in a blatant vote buying scheme. Other noted Marxists the Fraser Institute want it reined in

Re Boomers and Wealth.

Most Boomers that I am acquaint with have children. Some are lucky enough to have grandchildren.

Most everyone that I know supports their children and their grandchildren in cash and in kind. They also supply an insurance policy in the form of a fall back position - you can always come home.

Bear in mind that your sample is those you’re acquainted with, who are probably mostly in similar enough circles.

There are a lot of boomers living very destitute- rental housing, no assets, barely making it by. They will have no wealth to transfer down. Not everyone has a windfall coming from the bank of mom and dad.

OAS. As I have posted about multiple times, in detail through the thread. The current clawback threshold is at 90k, 15% clawback rate.

Nothing to do with CPP or VAC benefits.

Noted Marxist Activist Stephen Harper started us on the road to OAS reform before JT reversed course and increased it in a poorly targeted way in a blatant vote buying scheme. Other noted Marxists the Fraser Institute want it reined in
I will sit the OAS argument out for now. I simply do not have enough information to agree or disagree with the policy.

I will sit the OAS argument out for now. I simply do not have enough information to agree or disagree with the policy.
Fair enough.
I'll admit to hijacking your post as a final attempt to catalyze discussion on a $6B+ issue that a crowd that is generally all for fiscal responsibility is remarkably quiet on.

Back