• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

9 out of 10 Jobs created in Canada in 2020-2021 were in the Public Sector

I’m sure every unit has at least one person who takes more sick days than annuals in a year. Not to mention be on some type of reduced hours MEL for months on end.
I was on TCAT for 8 months. Yes, I had alot of sick days but rest assured it was hell (and pain and suffering)

What have we got for such an oversized growth of public sector employment? It still takes me 3 hours to call anybody in the government. It is taking VAC 11 months to make a decision on a application that is rather straight forward. And they keep wanting to find new ways to tax us? I ain't just talking carbon tax, they up the tax on booze so I won't be able to afford to drink myself into a drunken stupour listening to Trudeau.

More good news... for the bureaucracy:

Public sector hiring is driving Canada's labour market​

Employment gains in the public sector more than offset losses among businesses last month
Author of the article:

Employment gains in the public sector more than offset losses among Canadian businesses last month, highlighting a labour market that has been propped up by government hiring.

In February, public-sector roles rose by 18,800 positions, while the private sector lost 16,400 jobs, Statistics Canada data showed. Over the past year, employment in the public sector has grown 4.7 per cent, versus 1.2 per cent in private industry.

“If you look at how the private sector’s trending, it’s sharply decelerating,” Beata Caranci, chief economist at Toronto-Dominion Bank, said. “That’s tied to the interest rate cycle, not the government hiring that’s tied to specific funds and social policy.”

Caranci said she’s focused on the job market as one of the key metrics to gauge the timing of Bank of Canada rate cuts. The central bank held its key rate steady at five per cent this week, saying it needs to see sustained downward momentum in core inflation before considering cuts. Many economists in a Bloomberg survey expect it to begin lowering borrowing costs in June.

The trend in hiring by businesses “is going to be one of the more compelling arguments if they are going to cut interest rates earlier or later,” she said. “That, to me, is going to be a huge influence on their decision if we see private sector demand really starts to collapse.”

Last month, the labour market surged past expectations with the biggest job gains since September, but a rising unemployment rate and slowing wage growth still point to easing inflation pressures ahead. Self-employed positions along with public-sector roles drove the increase of 40,700 jobs.

What have we got for such an oversized growth of public sector employment? It still takes me 3 hours to call anybody in the government. It is taking VAC 11 months to make a decision on a application that is rather straight forward. And they keep wanting to find new ways to tax us? I ain't just talking carbon tax, they up the tax on booze so I won't be able to afford to drink myself into a drunken stupour listening to Trudeau.
You get a shit ton more scrutiny on your tax returns and faster input processing of immigration claims.

When I click on your link it says it's been removed?

Was that an actual metric used in support of this article, or are you suspecting that's the case ?
The public sector includes all government funded organizations. Municipal, Provincial, Federal, military, police, crown corps etc.

Public Sector as opposed to Private sector.

The public sector includes all government funded organizations. Municipal, Provincial, Federal, military, police, crown corps etc.

Public Sector as opposed to Private sector.

I understand your definition, I feel like we've discussed that before.

But that wasn't my question.

I understand your definition, I feel like we've discussed that before.

But that wasn't my question.
It’s not my definition. I have no idea what metric the article used so I’ll rely on what the actual definition is.

Edit: the article says stats can data. So it’s an easy deduction now.

It’s not my definition. I have no idea what metric the article used so I’ll rely on what the actual definition is.

So you don't know, you're suspecting, that uniformed CAF members were captured in that data. Ok Gotcha. Just checking.

When I click on your link it says it's been removed?
Same here - here's a link to an archived version of the piece ...
... as well as the original link @ the Globe & Mail (also archived here if the link doesn't work for ya)

So you don't know, you're suspecting, that uniformed CAF members were captured in that data. Ok Gotcha. Just checking.
If they used stats can data it isn’t a guess anymore. As per the definition on termium.

There is a difference in public sector vs public service.

If you have your own definition I’d love to hear it,

If they used stats can data it isn’t a guess anymore. As per the definition on termium.

There is a difference in public sector vs public service.

If you have your own definition I’d love to hear it,

I'm not debating your definition, I don't really care honestly. I was asking if you knew what metric data they captured to come to their conclusions.

I'm not debating your definition, I don't really care honestly. I was asking if you knew what metric data they captured to come to their conclusions.
Again it isn’t MY definition. I provided you the actual definition. The fact that you don’t want to accept that isn’t my problem.

Again it isn’t MY definition. I provided you the actual definition. The fact that you don’t want to accept that isn’t my problem.

Ok my friend, you win. Is that going to make this end ?

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Same here - here's a link to an archived version of the piece ...
... as well as the original link @ the Globe & Mail (also archived here if the link doesn't work for ya)

Interesting. Thanks!

Ok my friend, you win. Is that going to make this end ?

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN
Not trying to win anything. We either accept the definition or we don’t. You insinuated that it was my definition. I provided you with the actual definition. I’m fine with you defining it any way you wish.

Not trying to beat anyone here but if we are to discuss something in good faith then defining terminology would be in good order no?

I fully realise the CAF is not the Public Service. But both are part of the public sector.

Not trying to win anything. We either accept the definition or we don’t. You insinuated that it was my definition. I provided you with the actual definition. I’m fine with you defining it any way you wish.

Not trying to beat anyone here but if we are to discuss something in good faith then defining terminology would be in good order no?

I fully realise the CAF is not the Public Service. But both are part of the public sector.

I don't care. God, I regret even asking the question.

sign language uncle GIF by Sign with Robert

Meanwhile... consultants! ;)

The never-ending question of contracting in the public service​

The real issue is not whether to use outside suppliers of services, but how to use them to best effect.

There are three ways to get a flow of work done: by permanent public servants; by temporary public servants (term appointments, casuals, seasonal workers, students); or by outside contractors. The first two fall under “staffing” policies and processes, while the third falls under “procurement and contracting.” All three generate costs for the government. These days, Ottawa spends roughly $50 billion on its public service and $15 billion on contracted services. Is that mix the right one? If you want to dampen or cut government spending, which should be cut more deeply?

Permanent public servants are expensive, carrying a premium beyond their salaries in terms of benefits and future pension costs. They are difficult to move around and almost impossible to terminate for poor performance. They are entangled in a complex web of collective agreements and human resource mechanisms. They do however bring experience, expertise, loyalty, engagement and an orientation to the public interest, as opposed to short-term profit. The smart business choice is often to build up and develop sustainable capacity within a public service entity.

But the truth – uncomfortable for some – is that sometimes it makes more sense to go to an outside supplier where a pool of expertise resides. Just as the private sector does, it often makes sense for governments to outsource services, whether they are ongoing or related to a specific project with finite time frames. A large consideration is matching supply to demand.

Meanwhile... consultants! ;)

The never-ending question of contracting in the public service​

The real issue is not whether to use outside suppliers of services, but how to use them to best effect.

There are three ways to get a flow of work done: by permanent public servants; by temporary public servants (term appointments, casuals, seasonal workers, students); or by outside contractors. The first two fall under “staffing” policies and processes, while the third falls under “procurement and contracting.” All three generate costs for the government. These days, Ottawa spends roughly $50 billion on its public service and $15 billion on contracted services. Is that mix the right one? If you want to dampen or cut government spending, which should be cut more deeply?

Permanent public servants are expensive, carrying a premium beyond their salaries in terms of benefits and future pension costs. They are difficult to move around and almost impossible to terminate for poor performance. They are entangled in a complex web of collective agreements and human resource mechanisms. They do however bring experience, expertise, loyalty, engagement and an orientation to the public interest, as opposed to short-term profit. The smart business choice is often to build up and develop sustainable capacity within a public service entity.

But the truth – uncomfortable for some – is that sometimes it makes more sense to go to an outside supplier where a pool of expertise resides. Just as the private sector does, it often makes sense for governments to outsource services, whether they are ongoing or related to a specific project with finite time frames. A large consideration is matching supply to demand.

Agreed. For surges, short term projects etc, it’s when they become so entwined and embedded for extend (re very long) periods that it gets problematic,

The keyword in that article is “FINITE”.

Back