• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca ranking system (new idea)

MikeL said:
What happens if a troll or some immature person buys a subscription? An starts rating their buddies up an good posters down?

Does subscription allow posters free reign? I can't imagine spending a few dollars would allow people to take advantage of the site.

Journeyman said:
Perhaps add a software "restraining order," where some people simply aren't allowed to converse with others.

There are boards I've been on where you can block other posters from contacting you, including blocking private convos in chat. I'd be glad to PM them if asked, if that might help implementation of said technology if so desired.

I've only been around here a short time but so far I like the way I see things being operated. It is tricky at first, but I just think that newbies should be on Sunday Best Dinner with the In-Laws Best Behaviour.

I think tying anything that could be abused to a subscription is a problem... makes it hard to take it away when you've made it clear the user has paid for it. :)

Luckily subscribers seem to be the sort who like to help out and support the site, vs. those who just like to cause trouble... But there's nothing saying that trend will continue.

MikeL said:
What happens if a troll or some immature person buys a subscription? An starts rating their buddies up an good posters down?

If there was to be a rating system, might be best to let the mods rate others an/or let the staff pick posters who they deem to be mature an contribute to the forum and let them rate others.

Buying a Subscription does not give you free reign of the site.  One or two Subscribers, however, thought that and found out that a BAN was the end result.  Everyone on the site is bound by the rules of conduct that Mike has published.  Even the Staff must follow his rules.  Granted they also have input as to what the rules should be, as the site is constantly growing and developing.  Hopefully, we can keep it a site that everyone can enjoy.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Luckily subscribers seem to be the sort who like to help out and support the site, vs. those who just like to cause trouble... But there's nothing saying that trend will continue.

Sorry Mike.. as a subscriber.. I'll try to stop getting into trouble....  ;)

Forgot you were a subscriber, now I have to go back and edit that post for accuracy. ;)

I wasn't trying to imply that subscribers have free reign or are trouble makers or anything like that. But for the rating system AFAIK it is anonymous so you don't know who is voting certain people high an others low.

All is well in the army.ca world... I am a subscriber.   ;D

yoman said:
I have had an idea for a while now that I would like to bring up.

In order to more affectively show the user's seniority on the board would it be a good idea to tie the ranking system with the time logged in and not just the number of posts the user has. This would eliminate people from just posting pointless stuff  to get a higher rank on the forum.

Example, to achieve new member status you would need the current 25 posts plus 5 hours logged in.
For junior member 50 posts plus 10 hours logged in.
etc...

now this is just a thought but for people that are guest vs subscribers should there be a difference in the ranking system.
thought does the ranking system really matter for much...........  just a thought dont bash me for it

theseeker said:
now this is just a thought but for people that are guest vs subscribers should there be a difference in the ranking system.
thought does the ranking system really matter for much...........  just a thought dont bash me for it

I see what you mean. Its not a bad idea. But I think having the blue subscriber bar under you name shows that you support the forum in more ways then just posting. That's the rank your have.

I've searched this topic but I can't find out how the ranking system actually works. If somebody could enlighten me that would be great thanks,

Geoff

It doesn't, or rather it didn't, work. Twice, in fact.  And both times taken back down because of abuse by immature members.

It was a simple system that by which you could give a person a "+1" or "-1" rating, the cumulative +1's and -1's were totalled to show the total numbers of positive and negative rankings received.

so then what's with all of the "new member, junior member,etc..." how does that work?

It refers to the number of posts that you have done (radio chatter ones aren't counted)

Guest  0
New Member  25
Jr. Member  50
Member  100
Full Member  250
Sr. Member    500
Army.ca Veteran  1000
Army.ca Fixture  5000

Subscribers have paid to get extras on this site that only subscribers have.

Well I have been kicking around this site since the war diary days. I don't have a hecl of a lot of posts as I tend to lurk and learn and not post just to spout off. It's pretty easy after you have been on the site for a while to filter out those that are just spewing noise and the members who have knowledge and provide value to this great resource.

Your system is bugged however to begin with.

bugged8gi.jpg

I assure you I haven't been on this website for that long.

Back