• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commander of 8 Wing Trenton arrested, charged in hunting incident

I love the saltiness towards the hockey players (Base team player myself) when getting on the mess committee is typically a much quicker path towards promotion. Don't hate the player hate the game.
Being on the mess committee required me to work time into my normal duties.

I have seen hockey players bussed out of a Bde Lvl 6 Ex in Wx because reasons.

There are quite a few folks in uniform that are on sports scholarships and it usually shows when it's time to do the business end of our jobs...

Being on the mess committee required me to work time into my normal duties.

I have seen hockey players bussed out of a Bde Lvl 6 Ex in Wx because reasons.

There are quite a few folks in uniform that are on sports scholarships and it usually shows when it's time to do the business end of our jobs..
I was told that in 4 CMBG, almost every army unit had a coy/sqn composed of hockey players or guys who excelled in sports. These guys devoted themselves to sports and to were trained to compete to win in the annual 4 CMBG sports competition and hockey championships. I didn't believe until I was part of a coy(-) sent over to augment 4 Svc Bn, back when there was a 4 CMBG, for a Corps Ex. One of the first things the CO asked me was who were the Bn hockey players. Sure enough two of my guys were posted to 4 Svc Bn the following year.

Is he going to blame it on PTSD when he was depl on ops?
I wonder if this recent behaviour is indicative of his real morals / honesty?
Does he really know how to hunt? If he did he would know that the needed a hunting licence. Normally guys tend to hunt with another person - for safety reasons and yet I think that he was alone. No mention of a dog. If you are going duck hunting and you're in a boat, you'll need a well trained dog. We are not getting all the facts and we should not jump to conclusions.

There are quite a few folks in uniform that are on sports scholarships and it usually shows when it's time to do the business end of our jobs...

The business end can’t be that important if people are allowed to play sports.

Like I said before, don’t hate the player, hate the game. Hockey is a team sport that promotes team work and physical fitness, just like basketball, soccer or volleyball. The biggest whiners are usually those who don’t play or aren’t good enough to get picked to play. We have a CISM caliber soccer player who, between camps, tournaments and general team play, has missed 6 weeks of work. If anyone complains I just say they should train to get good enough to make the team. The approving authority is the CO, bring your grievances and complaints to them.

The business end can’t be that important if people are allowed to play sports.

Like I said before, don’t hate the player, hate the game. Hockey is a team sport that promotes team work and physical fitness, just like basketball, soccer or volleyball. The biggest whiners are usually those who don’t play or aren’t good enough to get picked to play. We have a CISM caliber soccer player who, between camps, tournaments and general team play, has missed 6 weeks of work. If anyone complains I just say they should train to get good enough to make the team. The approving authority is the CO, bring your grievances and complaints to them.
I hope you take that attitude toward your particular grievances with the way the CAF works as well...

I hope you take that attitude toward your particular grievances with the way the CAF works as well...
Every CAF policy can be rewritten or changed. If people really hate CAF Sports or how much time “off” is given towards participation, they should staff it up officially. It’s one of the perks I actually enjoy, being paid to play, until that changes I will encourage everyone to tryout for regional level events.

With some yes. Some no.

The Situation is - a Sgt has lost his C7 rifle. He is an infantry section commander. What do you do after the rifle has been recovered. What is the COA?

Every CAF policy can be rewritten or changed. If people really hate CAF Sports or how much time “off” is given towards participation, they should staff it up officially. It’s one of the perks I actually enjoy, being paid to play, until that changes I will encourage everyone to tryout for regional level events.
I actually agree with you and I don't have a problem with CAF Sports and think the CAF should organize more sports to foster a culture of physical fitness and living a healthy lifestyle. I also think the CAF should actively promote sports that have a Military application:

Combat Sports
Contact Sports
Shooting
Orienteering
Skiing, Biathlon, Mountaineering, etc

I think what most people are frustrated with are the double standards and selective application of who receives support. We all know those Officers who get whatever they want while a lowly NCM gets treated like garbage despite being an elite athlete.

I actually agree with you and I don't have a problem with CAF Sports and think the CAF should organize more sports to foster a culture of physical fitness and living a healthy lifestyle. I also think the CAF should actively promote sports that have a Military application:

Combat Sports
Contact Sports
Shooting
Orienteering
Skiing, Biathlon, Mountaineering, etc

I think what most people are frustrated with are the double standards and selective application of who receives support. We all know those Officers who get whatever they want while a lowly NCM gets treated like garbage despite being an elite athlete.

But isn't nepotism, of one type or another, all in line with the unofficial, unwritten, CAF policy? ;)

We all know those Officers who get whatever they want while a lowly NCM gets treated like garbage despite being an elite athlete.

Must have been a Navy thing. ;) With so many personnel shortages across the board I could see CAF regional sports be paused in the not so distant future.

I’ll amend some of what I said earlier: if techs have time for the hockey team on duty, they can be spared for secondary duties like WASF.

Regional sport approvals come from COs based on OP tempo and supervisor input. Considering the team cohesion and positive fitness aspects, the majority get approved, some don't. People don't apply if they know big exercises are coming up, its not worth the admin. Flying unit COs hate wasting techs for WASF when they can be fixing aircraft, only because that serves no other purpose than covering off another poorly managed, neglected task. CAF doesn't take base security seriously, but they need to pretend like something is being done - lets give techs, clerks and supply techs rifles and have them act like security for a bit. Using personnel who took years to get trained and qualified (not just aircraft techs) only to have them patrol fence line is an awful use of resources we don't have anymore. COs can deny requests for sports, but they can't always deny giving away their pers for WASF.

Regional sport approvals come from COs based on OP tempo and supervisor input. Considering the team cohesion and positive fitness aspects, the majority get approved, some don't. People don't apply if they know big exercises are coming up, its not worth the admin. Flying unit COs hate wasting techs for WASF when they can be fixing aircraft, only because that serves no other purpose than covering off another poorly managed, neglected task. CAF doesn't take base security seriously, but they need to pretend like something is being done - lets give techs, clerks and supply techs rifles and have them act like security for a bit. Using personnel who took years to get trained and qualified (not just aircraft techs) only to have them patrol fence line is an awful use of resources we don't have anymore. COs can deny requests for sports, but they can't always deny giving away their pers for WASF.
None of which contradicts what I said, if the concern is taking techs away from their tools.

Well, we now know at least two CAF bases that promote hunting as a sport among members of the Officer's Mess.

But, hunting doesn't promote teamwork as much. It's generally a solitary endeavor. If you're a bad shot hunting big game, it would certainly promote cardiovascular fitness. :oops:🦬

None of which contradicts what I said, if the concern is taking techs away from their tools.

We should just apply a broad stroke policy that forbids members being taken away from their primary tasks or trades. Come to work and do the thing you joined and were hired to do, without all the pesky secondary duties and taskings, it's how most of the civilian world works. I'd gladly trade losing a week of playing sports if it meant only wrenching on aircraft and doing my primary job.

Back