• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Or that could result in social unrest and a potential revolution as the lower class loses housing stability and can’t meet one of the three needs to survive. Rent prices have skyrocketed, apartments I rented a decade ago are 2.5 times more expensive for the same place. This isn’t sustainable.

The French Revolution happened with a much lower wealth inequality than we currently have.

Especially when people wake up to the fact it is our government who has created this crisis by allowing too many people in too short a time for our population to absorb.

It all comes back to the greedy and rich exploiting the rest of the population, at some point people will have had enough.
Yes, that's all possible.

Who did the grievers vote for, I wonder; and what promises led them to do so; and who will they vote for next.

I'm not sure I would call that working arrangement a "gig lifestyle". Workers in remote mines, off-shore oil rigs, etc. who live remotely from their workplace still go back to their same employer. It's more of an extended shift arrangement and long commute. I suppose in some seasonal industries, like fishing, you re-sign with the employer. I don't know if I would call foreign temporary farm workers 'gig employees' but maybe technically they are. Although many do repeatedly return to the same employer, their relationship is severed every cycle.

I label any employment that isn't an open ended contract, any contract that is time-limited and requires re-engagement periodically, as a gig.

The point is that employment takes many forms. Jobs for life are not what they used to be. Some people are good with that.

Whether the generations growing up in urban density are being forced into Industrial-era squalor remains to be seen.

Nothing is inevitable.

For some, the concept of having a detached plot that they have to maintain is something they actively don't want. To them, living in an apartment or condo where you pay other to maintain, ordering in or eating out the one big meal of the day, living on transit and not owning a vehicle, is an active choice. Some of us learned our home-maintenance/DIY skills either through osmosis or at the feet or our parents. With many now, that is completely lost.

Key word there is "choice".

Density don't necessarily lead to squalor. It can, but it doesn't have to.

My concern, particularly as it pertains to the Calgary blanket rezoning issue, is that I am concerned that by allowing greater discretion across the city that ultimately the development will get ahead of, and away from, the planners. They will be confronted with a multitude of applications with a multitude of "good ideas" and expectations and will have to consider how all those multifareous bits and pieces mesh. Conversely they could have stuck with the rules in place and decided to rezone neighbourhood by neighbourhood, or consider new standards for new neighbourhoods, and created greater choice in living options. They could have created high density and low density districts and attracted both types of potential taxpayers.

Any practical definition I have seen defines it as the offspring of a French (Canadian) father and First Nations mother. I have never heard or seen it applied to a mix of First Nations ancestry.

Here I was stretching a point.

Metis sounds better than Half-Breed but the issue is the same. In the south the father was likely French (Canadian). In the north, in Hudson Bay - Cree country the father was likely Scottish (Canadian). In both cases the offspring were considered outsiders by the families of both parents. They created their own societies.

Currently the First Nations jealously guard their blood lines and their associated treaty rights. They have an uneasy association with the Metis communities. They have an uneasy association with women that marry off reservation and their children.

If a Metis family was metis in 1700 but has consistently married into French society since then are the offspring indigenous or settlers? If they married into Metis or native society are they still "contaminated" by settler blood - one drop rule?

The issue is not a new one because there are indigenous communities, like the Oji-Cree, where cultures and bloodlines clash and merge.

My point was that racial purity is a difficult concept no matter what races are involved.

Jobs for life are not what they used to be.

Jobs required to make house calls will likely never go out of business.

My concern, particularly as it pertains to the Calgary blanket rezoning issue, is that I am concerned that by allowing greater discretion across the city that ultimately the development will get ahead of, and away from, the planners.

That's why you join your local Ratepayer's Association.

"Tradition, unimpeded by progress."

Don't know about Calgary, but there are plenty in Toronto,

Jobs required to make house calls will likely never go out of business.

That's why you join your local Ratepayer's Association.

"Tradition, unimpeded by progress."

Don't know about Calgary, but there are plenty in Toronto,

I like tradition.

I don't like change just for the sake of change. You need to show me that change is going to make my life better.

I like tradition.

I don't like change just for the sake of change. You need to show me that change is going to make my life better.

Our Ratepayer's Association ( Swansea ) puts it this way,

• Endeavouring to maintain the cultural, environmental, and political health of the community.
Basically what you said. :)

Maintain tradition. Protect the yellow-belt.

Key word there is "choice".
For sure, but many make the argument that they have no choice but to 'live small' in urban density, which I dispute. In many cases, it is a choice. If your life and income is staring at a screen, you can do it from Cochrane.

Currently the First Nations jealously guard their blood lines and their associated treaty rights. They have an uneasy association with the Metis communities. They have an uneasy association with women that marry off reservation and their children.
Absolutely. They are chasing overlapping land and resource claims as well as federal dollars. This just recently:

The argument has a bit of a thin edge because many FN groups reject any kind of federal involvement in determining who is FN (DNA, genealogy research, etc.) and taking the position that 'we will determine who is a member of our nation', yet are wanting some kind of analysis for Metis because of the "drop of indigenous blood" issue.

I have a friend who is FN living on a FNT who married a non-FN lady; no kids. They live in his mother's former house because the band determined that he was entitled to it. It is totally their call - nobody has title to anything on most FNTs. He is convinced that when he dies, his wife, who is a fair bit younger, will be kicked off.

And what, exactly, is a Metis?
The definition of Metis I learned growing up was mixed native and European bloodlines. However it's nowhere that simple and to be recognized a Metis - from the Canadian Constitution - you must be able to show linage to the Red River valley and the Metis who lived in the area pre-Canada/Red River settlement.

The Red River Metis were of Ojibway and plains Cree (mostly but not all) and intermarried with the Scottish and French fur traders.

Unfortunately as you move around the country, especially during the development of different treaties, Metis were treated differently. Some were treated as "Canadians" as a person born in Canada, Others were formally assigned First Nation Status (Treaty 10), and in some cases the choice was made to communities did they wish to be known as Metis - and receive land script homestead rights - or be known as Indian and be part of a reserve (Treaty 8).

Then add in the different court rulings over the last 20 years and there have been many "Metis" groups forming in areas where previously they were not recognized and equally important some groups are being recognized that pre-date some of treaties formally achieving "Metis" rights.

If you can get the different relationships, bloodlines, treaties, stages of history, and political goals straight I'm electing you Prime Minister for life.

The definition of Metis I learned growing up was mixed native and European bloodlines. However it's nowhere that simple and to be recognized a Metis - from the Canadian Constitution - you must be able to show linage to the Red River valley and the Metis who lived in the area pre-Canada/Red River settlement.

The Red River Metis were of Ojibway and plains Cree (mostly but not all) and intermarried with the Scottish and French fur traders.

Unfortunately as you move around the country, especially during the development of different treaties, Metis were treated differently. Some were treated as "Canadians" as a person born in Canada, Others were formally assigned First Nation Status (Treaty 10), and in some cases the choice was made to communities did they wish to be known as Metis - and receive land script homestead rights - or be known as Indian and be part of a reserve (Treaty 8).

Then add in the different court rulings over the last 20 years and there have been many "Metis" groups forming in areas where previously they were not recognized and equally important some groups are being recognized that pre-date some of treaties formally achieving "Metis" rights.

If you can get the different relationships, bloodlines, treaties, stages of history, and political goals straight I'm electing you Prime Minister for life.

I'm happy with a glass of whisky and a seat on the sidelines.

Just as well the locals have the white guys to beat up on. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to agree on anything.

Lindsey Graham GIF by GIPHY News

Always read the fine print…. Check out the down payment …

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpeg
    IMG_0017.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 27
For readers seeking affordability,

Royal LePage's Q1 2024 House Price Survey.

The most affordable housing in Canada.

The lower a city's affordability factor percentage, the more affordable it is.

"There's an old saying in real estate, 'drive until you qualify.'

1717010915736.png

Back