• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flat Feet

How would a person know if their flat feet were a result of fallen arches? Also, do biomechanical issues/injuries that have been resolved cause problems with passing the medical as well?

Kotoko said:
How would a person know if their flat feet were a result of fallen arches? Also, do biomechanical issues/injuries that have been resolved cause problems with passing the medical as well?

If you had arches before and your feet are now flat...I think you get the rest.

Having had past biomechanical issues can cause problems with the medical if theyk've been recent...you'll need information from the person treating you about what the problem was, likelihood of recurrence when under physical stress, if special footwear or orthotics are REQUIRED vs nice to have to carry on with life, etc.

MM

Haha I figured a much, I guess I should've phrased that better. I meant will a medical person be able to tell whether someone's feet have been flat their whole life vs fallen arches when they go in. I guess I'll find out when I go!

Ahh that's good information to know. Would it be good to bring that on the day of the medical so that theres no delay? Also, would the most recent person treating me be the person to go to, because I've had a few issues seen by multiple people (due to geographic/monetary and time factors).

Thanks so much, you've been very helpful!

You should bring a note from whoever is treating you explaining what the problems are/were, what's been done, and what the likely way ahead is for you and if you're stable now and for how long.

MM

7RCA said:
Are flat feet allowed in the CF reserves? they have never hurt at all, i didnt even know i had them lol :cdn:

Were not these questions answered or why weren't they asked when you joined back in Nov 09?

Milnet.Ca Staff

7RCA said:
Are flat feet allowed in the CF reserves? they have never hurt at all, i didnt even know i had them lol :cdn:

I cannot say for sure with the Reserves, but I start my Regular Forces journey when I leave for BMQ this Saturday, with flat feet. During my medical I was asked if I had any issues with them, and my reply was no; the subject was not mentioned again.

Cheers,

I know it's a dead thread but I think I can shed some light. And give some advice.

I joined the Canadian army fine with flat feet, they did cuase shin splints from time to time. Usually when I was overtraining anyway. I had collasped arches but my feet are flexible which is why I was still allowed in. But I did have to get a note from my doctor saying it was ok. My doctor also said that I should take ballet to help with my feet and that in some cases you can rebuild your arches (there is evidence of this). I never did ballet and I tried some exercises with limited success. I passed all my training just fine with few difficulties related to my feet. I went onto to do mountain man, army run, crossfit teams and hockey. I got shin splints pretty bad sometimes and just rested. But then I got runners knee that is horrible. So I have for sometime now been working on my feet. As follows:

Get minimalist shoes,  (vibram 5 fingers, vivo barefoot) I use moc3 with a 2mm rubber bottom. Nike free's and merrels minimalist trail runners are good for transition but have limitations as there is some padding still.
I started with 10 min runs but now I can do 10km. Mind you I was running much farther in normal shoes to start. You will naturally switch to a forefoot strike.

I also took the padding out of my hiking boots for rucksack marches and make an effort to keep my arches lifted while rucking.

I also lift my arches and bend my knees slightly for timed intervals, again start very easy on this. Eventually leading to balancing on one foot and not letting your ankle roll inwards (pronate).

You can do calf raises, for me this is too much with all the above. Try to point your heels outwards at the top of the raise.

And finally use a golf ball to massage the bottom of your foot to brake up old scar tissue.

My progress so far has been great with my right foot. I can actually see my arch. My left foot used to be crooked when standing on it and completely pancaked to the ground. It is now straight and slightly less pancaked. There is plenty information on the web, with people who have had amazing success. I would recomend talking to a doctor first to see if it would help your feet.

A friend of mine is interested in joining the CF but she has a flat foot and she was wondering if they will fail her at medical when they realize that ? And if they don't, will it give her more of a hard time than the others during BMQ ? If she simply wears an orthotic will she be fine ? Any people on here have a flat foot/feet and still joined and were able to do the long marches and running without any problems ?

Thank you !

Did you know people with flat feet can run faster? Simply because we have more traction with foot to ground.

You will likely be told this by a mod, but use the search function, this question has been answered an abundant amount of times. Feel free to pm me and I will give you my experience since I most likely have some of the flattest feet on earth.

Johnson101 said:
Did you know people with flat feet can run faster? Simply because we have more traction with foot to ground.

You will likely be told this by a mod, but use the search function, this question has been answered an abundant amount of times. Feel free to pm me and I will give you my experience since I most likely have some of the flattest feet on earth.

The problem here likely is that they have a fallen arch - most people don't walk around with only one flat foot.  This would probably lead to issues at the medical - at minimum, a family doctor's letter, slowing enrollment down.

I too have very flat feet - this has led to more than my fair share of ankle sprains over the years due to compensatory over supination when I walk or run.  A person with a flat foot and a normal arch on the opposite would likely more prone to issues with biomechanical pain or injuries.

:2c:

MM

Ian said:
Hey,

I have flat feet according to the Canadian Forces (it‘s a pretty slightly condition) and I had no problem getting in. It should not be a large concern.

Good luck!

Same with me.

I was applying for the Infantry, but they said it was okay. I was declared medically unfit for the Infantry, but that was because my vision wasn't good enough.

Sincerely,
jaysfan17

jaysfan17 said:
Same with me.

I was applying for the Infantry, but they said it was okay. I was declared medically unfit for the Infantry, but that was because my vision wasn't good enough.

Sincerely,
jaysfan17

You do realize you're 13 years late with your reply right?    :nod:

MM

medicineman said:
You do realize you're 13 years late with your reply right?    :nod:

MM

No I didn't realize. I wasn't paying attention, it won't happen again.

Something your drill instructors will harp on - pay attention to detail Dude.

No need to worry/apologize, just pointing out something you might not have noticed that's all.

MM

medicineman said:
Something your drill instructors will harp on - pay attention to detail Dude.

No need to worry/apologize, just pointing out something you might not have noticed that's all.

MM

Cool, thanks man.

But hey, what if he's still trying to get in? I'd like to know how he turned out.

I suppose you could check to see if they've been back on since by looking at their profile

Back