• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hunting advice for an interested party

SOES_vet

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all:

So, I'm a city boy but my mother grew up in a fishing and farming village, overseas. She used to hunt with my grandfather but hasn't hunted for several decades. So, we decided that we would like to go out and hunt together. But here is the thing. She has never hunted in Canada, and I have never hunted. Ever.

I am in the process of getting my restricted gun license so that is one thing down but I am completely out of my element for everything else. We would like to go deer hunting and intend on eating the meat.

So here is my question.  Could any of you recommend companies here in Ontario which specialize in taking first time hunters out? We need advice with with permits, guns etc.

Thanks in advance.

You'll definitely need the hunter safety course for Ontario, which can save you some time and money. That and a non-restricted safety test pass (you only need the copy of the test stamped from the CFO, not the PAL) will get you a H2 card. From there, a guide can get you whatever licences and tags you need.

I've never hunted deer with a guide, so hopefully someone here can give you direction on that end and make it a memorable hunt.

With respect.

You'll need the hunters safety course.

Your RPAL will be nice to have as long as you understand that only non-restricted weapons can be used to hunt with.

As far as deer hunting goes, unless you're hunting with a bow, you have missed the bus with respect to this year. This will however give you until next years season to get the HSC, your PAL, or RPAL, and some research done as far as outfitters.

There are quite a number of camps in Northern / Central Ont that offer outfitted hunts for Deer. Get on the Ontario Out of Doors boards as well, lots of new hunters on there just starting out.

Good luck. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Back