• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Experience Program

Update, the kid is now on week one of NETP (do they still call it that?) and has put his name in to go on RIMPAC. They did a tour of HMCS St John's the other day and was blown away by the operations room. He's leaning towards NAVCOM or WENGTECH but Bos'un holds a bit of an appeal as well. :unsure:

For a kid who 6 months ago had no intention to joining the Navy and is now thinking of a career and nudging his buddies from high school to consider giving it a shot, I think this is a win for the RCN and CAF.

Yup NETP. Or OSQAB and OSUT for us old salts ;)

Glad he is enjoying it!

I will give credit to the RCN for really trying hard and to get out there and engage the public.
I think a navy has an advantage, all things considered, in “show the flag” sort of things.

In areas that a navy can go to, bringing a warship or two (even a small one) can be really exciting for the public, and “all” (huge air quotes there) it has to do is just…be there. Maybe do an open day like Fleet Week but just having an FFH or alongside would bring publicity.

In contrast, the Army can bring in their vehicles and guns but unless they’re going around shooting, it’s less impactful than a warship that you can go onboard. The Air Force is kind of in-between - people think planes are pretty cool but in general they need to be at airports, which are controlled areas. So you can’t just have an Aurora displayed in downtown Vancouver.

You could display an Aurora in downtown Vancouver….I just don’t think it would be the kind of publicity we want…

I think a navy has an advantage, all things considered, in “show the flag” sort of things.

In areas that a navy can go to, bringing a warship or two (even a small one) can be really exciting for the public, and “all” (huge air quotes there) it has to do is just…be there. Maybe do an open day like Fleet Week but just having an FFH or alongside would bring publicity.

In contrast, the Army can bring in their vehicles and guns but unless they’re going around shooting, it’s less impactful than a warship that you can go onboard. The Air Force is kind of in-between - people think planes are pretty cool but in general they need to be at airports, which are controlled areas. So you can’t just have an Aurora displayed in downtown Vancouver.
There was a time the army could show off

cva-586-3200-hotel-vancouver-1944-don-coltman.jpg

I mean, the longer we keep Aurora's in service, the more likely they'll just decide they're landing in downtown Vancouver whether the pilots want to or not...

I have to admit, when I was with the Army no one was interested in seeing where I worked.

When I am on a ship I get asked all the time by friends and family if I can bring them on board for a tour.

We used to do 1 night a season where we would bring the rugby club on board to the main cave and get 'ship wrecked' it was always a huge hit, and well attended.

There is something about a man-o-war that people find neat.

Even for me, I never miss the opportunity to visit another ship, and when in Norfolk the Wisconsin always gets a visit.

I have to admit, when I was with the Army no one was interested in seeing where I worked.

When I am on a ship I get asked all the time by friends and family if I can bring them on board for a tour.

We used to do 1 night a season where we would bring the rugby club on board to the main cave and get 'ship wrecked' it was always a huge hit, and well attended.

There is something about a man-o-war that people find neat.

Even for me, I never miss the opportunity to visit another ship, and when in Norfolk the Wisconsin always gets a visit.
Same. Most people want to see where we slept and how life goes on onboard ship.

On tours with the Aurora the public cares about the cockpit (obviously) then the galley 🤣

Same. Most people want to see where we slept and how life goes on onboard ship.

On tours with the Aurora the public cares about the cockpit (obviously) then the galley 🤣

The galley is always popular. My Dad loved the MCR and hearing the engineering side of things.

Back