• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

Abrams have been getting killed in small numbers for decades. Not the propaganda score they think it is. No tank is invulnerable.
My point , exactly.
As a propaganda piece it's not bad it doesn't noticeably go over the top. It's calm and almost circumspect.
It also leaves out a hell of lot , it quietly guides you to make the assumptions it wants you to make.
I suspect this guy's crew consists of a lot more then just a camera guy and soundman.

And the Ukrainian drones continue to make nuisances of themselves.

(...)
The other side of that coin ....
Also, not likely, but still disturbing ....

Russia apparently having some issues with their North Korean-supplied munitions.

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

More rapid adaptation by the Ukrainian military. Russians use aircraft to target Ukrainian USV's so Ukraine mounts heat seeking missiles on their USV's. That will certainly make Russian pilots think twice when engaging these targets.

The loss of an ISR asset is often more costly than the price tag.

But what if you can maintain a swarm of sensors so that the loss of a few here and there doesn't impact your overall sense of the situation?

One sniper in the tall grass or a battalion of Mk1 eyeballs manning OPs.

The Sniper is more effective but the rifles are more plentiful.

Ukraine started with looking for a cheap Reaper and bought Bayraktars but it seems to me that currently a lot of the situational awareness comes from multiple low cost, often low res, assets. I am sure that there is a lot of additional high tech and higher altitude assets as well operating out of harms way. But a bunch of eyes all netted together have their uses.

The loss of an ISR asset is often more costly than the price tag.
Thus why having multiple, cheap, COTS, ISR assets are advantageous in a theatre that has contested Air and EW domains

Thus why having multiple, cheap, COTS, ISR assets are advantageous in a theatre that has contested Air and EW domains
Less is more sometimes. I don’t want the enemy reading my mail, and the COTS systems won’t have secure feeds. Which can lead to other issues.

I want availability, but secure and somewhat hardened. It shouldn’t be that hard.

Less is more sometimes. I don’t want the enemy reading my mail, and the COTS systems won’t have secure feeds. Which can lead to other issues.

I want availability, but secure and somewhat hardened. It shouldn’t be that hard.
Confidentiality, Integrity, Availability. Pick 2.

In a theatre like Ukraine, I'm leaning more toward availability above confidentiality. Integrity is a distant second.

The EW posture is very much that of denial and DF, vice probing or Sigint. Having multiple vectors makes it harder to trace, track, and terminate the operator.

The problem we have in the West is we have been playing COIN games for 20 years and forgot the enemy can play monkeyshines as well. I would rather lose 3000 x $1000 drones than 1 x $3M drone in this particular battlespace. Syria or Afghanistan, different story.

Confidentiality, Integrity, Availability. Pick 2.

In a theatre like Ukraine, I'm leaning more toward availability above confidentiality. Integrity is a distant second.

The EW posture is very much that of denial and DF, vice probing or Sigint. Having multiple vectors makes it harder to trace, track, and terminate the operator.

The problem we have in the West is we have been playing COIN games for 20 years and forgot the enemy can play monkeyshines as well. I would rather lose 3000 x $1000 drones than 1 x $3M drone in this particular battlespace. Syria or Afghanistan, different story.
I’d rather have 1000 $3k drones that give me most of what I want ;)

We can spam $100 drones at assholes all day long with a small something that goes boom.

The key is understanding that there needs to be ‘grades’ of UAS.

Attack systems that are relatively cheap and plentiful that give some basic data in a closed system. Generally OWUAS suicide drones.
Those need to be looked at like a grenade, it’s a combat consumable.

ISR drones of several different flavors from Pl/Coy operations to vastly larger - that will have different capabilities and thus costs.

Strike systems - from rockets to bomber drones that can go out hit something and return.

EW UAS and C-UAS and CC-UAS systems that have their own unique capabilities as well.

The other side of that coin ....
Also, not likely, but still disturbing ....
Air space coordination measures will only take you so far in a fast moving large scale low level environment.

This whole thing makes me firmly believe that all the folks who sat around the army's smoke-filled back room during the 2011-13 nights of the long knives where the decision was made to can what was left of Canada's GBAD as unnecessary should have all their promotions and pensions since then revoked. :mad:

🍻

Air space coordination measures will only take you so far in a fast moving large scale low level environment.

This whole thing makes me firmly believe that all the folks who sat around the army's smoke-filled back room during the 2011-13 nights of the long knives where the decision was made to can what was left of Canada's GBAD as unnecessary should have all their promotions and pensions since then revoked. :mad:

🍻

Do you think it was these culprits? ;)

Cat Illuminati GIF

Back