• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

( U. S. ) Traffic Fatalities in 2010 Drop to Lowest Level in Recorded History

That is a fair point as well, people coming to Canada to visit or live parentally tend to bring part of their driving culture with them. Just as we would bring our driving culture to wherever we moved. I was definitely a bit of a fish out of water when driving in Italy.
In Malaysia I had to quickly abandon my Canadian driving habits. If you stopped for pedestrians they would look at you as if it was a trap.

Vehicles are getting safer - or at least more survivable - but so are road designs as well as improved paramedic and trauma care. That is being counteracted by an increased number of collisions caused by all sorts of factors, such as traffic/pedestrian density and aggressive driving habits, but fewer are fatal. Back in the day, there was little point for a fire department a scene unless there was an actual fire. They didn't have extrication equipment and most occupants were either ambulatory or dead in the vehicle.

Driver training, both light and heavy vehicle, is pretty much a joke.

I no longer have access to old data, but in the early 70s, the OPP logged almost a thousand fatalities a year. Now it in the 300s. My first detachment had about 25km of TCH and killed about 110-12 each year. Now, they get maybe a couple.

In Malaysia I had to quickly abandon my Canadian driving habits. If you stopped for pedestrians they would look at you as if it was a trap.
I feel the same when driving in Montreal.

IMHO people driving Dodge RAM trucks feel that they can ram through everything.

Ugh... Sure.

There are more SUVs and trucks on the road so there will be in more accidents... It's just math.

Remember, look both ways, make eye contact and I like to give a lil wave.

I no longer have access to old data, but in the early 70s, the OPP logged almost a thousand fatalities a year. Now it in the 300s. My first detachment had about 25km of TCH and killed about 110-12 each year. Now, they get maybe a couple.

The carnage was pretty awful.

No air bags, laminated and tempered glass, crumple zones, side impact protection beams, collapsible steering columns and padded dashboards, etc. If the car had seatblelts, using them was not mandatory until 1975.

Car fires were common. Now they have improved fuel system integrity and fire retardant materials.

The EVs are, apparently, a whole new ballgame.

Back