• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH 47 Incident at Petawawa 20/June/ 2023

IMHO the average citizen's curiosity should not be catered too... But that's just me.

100%
After Stalker went down it was disgusting how many emails I got probing for information. TBH it ruined friendships.

I’m sure at some point I’ll hear things but I’m not asking a single question to the people I know in that fleet.

"I was happy to speak with the chief of defence staff last night to express my condolences to the families and colleagues of the members who have been killed," Trudeau said.

It appears this Tweet has been removed.

Could end up keeping it there for the record, too - NOTHING disappears from the Interwebs ...

While some comments I've seen suggests that the PM (or his staff) tweeted the inappropriate wording, I've yet to see such tweeting directly related to him. But I could be wrong, I have been on several occasions. I don't lurk around twitter or facebook or any other of similar ilk as a primary source of my news and gossip. I only go there if there's a link, usually when I find them on these means.

As for "NOTHING disappears", the full exchange is to be found on CPAC and while it doesn't excuse the PM, it does expand it a little. The applicable bit starts at 1:13

The PM was walking when the typical press scrum appeared. He commented on the by-elections in English and French and appeared ready to depart when he was questioned in French about the Petawawa crash. He replied in French (my grasp of the second language may slipped in the 40 years since I was on language training) saying that he had spoken to the CDS (no "happy" included) and was leaving when an English language reporter stopped him looking for the same comment in English. His quick English reply included the unfortunate wording.

@Blackadder1916 I think that's an easy mistake to avoid by just STFU and not commenting on it on the fly.

Given how much mundane stuff doesn't get announced without a crazy amount of work behind the scenes on media release lines (MRLs), passive vs active stance etc as well as press conferences this seems like an insane gaff to make for someone who is 95% image.

While some comments I've seen suggests that the PM (or his staff) tweeted the inappropriate wording, I've yet to see such tweeting directly related to him. But I could be wrong, I have been on several occasions. I don't lurk around twitter or facebook or any other of similar ilk as a primary source of my news and gossip. I only go there if there's a link, usually when I find them on these means.

As for "NOTHING disappears", the full exchange is to be found on CPAC and while it doesn't excuse the PM, it does expand it a little. The applicable bit starts at 1:13

The PM was walking when the typical press scrum appeared. He commented on the by-elections in English and French and appeared ready to depart when he was questioned in French about the Petawawa crash. He replied in French (my grasp of the second language may slipped in the 40 years since I was on language training) saying that he had spoken to the CDS (no "happy" included) and was leaving when an English language reporter stopped him looking for the same comment in English. His quick English reply included the unfortunate wording.

So, he did actually say “I was happy to”.

There’s no acceptable reason. He understands the English language. He’s an idiot.

Given how much mundane stuff doesn't get announced without a crazy amount of work behind the scenes on media release lines (MRLs

If I recall correctly the current PM said at the start of his appointment that the "Cabinet Government is Back!" "This will be the most open government in ages" etc etc.

I'm not surprised that so much info gets dropped by this government because there is no way that the Langivan Block can adequately handle the volume of traffic that they expect to filter.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that so much info gets dropped by this government because there is no way that the Langivan Block can adequately handle the volume of traffic that they expect to filter.
It's nothing new and not restricted to the federal government. I've been gone almost 20 years from provincial service and it was long the practice back then. It would be one thing if 'the centre' was halfways efficient at processing releases, but they're not. Just about everyone down to the caretaker gets copied so everybody and nobody is ultimately accountable.

People say dumb things all the time, heck I am guilty of putting my foot in my mouth regularly.

As much as I love to beat on PMJT for a variety of failures and there are many... This is not what we should be pointing our guns at.

This is just one more "Gotcha" moment that has sadly become the SOP for what now passes as political debate in this Country. Instead of focusing on actual issues like the economy, the dilapidated state of the Armed Forces, Chinese interference, failures of various institutions .... we focus on BS like "What did the PM mean when he said the word "happy" OMG he is so callous!"

It's all nonsense of course and takes away from what's actually important and where the focus should be:

Helping/Letting the families and aviators of 450 Sqn grieve and get through this very difficult situation.

I know and have many pilots who are friends there, I haven't contacted them or reached out. We will talk when the time is right.

I’m actually alright enough with ‘happy’ use where I believe he meant ‘thankful’, particularly as it’s on the fly, scrum style.

I do, however, have an issue with his use of the phrase ‘killed’ before full NOK notifications were completed.

The real head shaker in all this was seeing Sajjan’s architectural yammering on Twitter, particularly when he isn’t even MND anymore. He should damn-well have known better as a unit-command grade officer, to *yip the way he did. Well beyond disappointing…solidly into STFU territory.

Last edited:
I’m actually alright enough with ‘happy’ use where I believe he meant ‘thankful’, particularly as it’s on the fly, scrum style.

I do, however, have an issue with his use of the phrase ‘killed’ before full NOK notifications were completed.

The real head shaker in all this was seeing Sajjan’s architectural yammering on Twitter, particularly when he isn’t even MND anymore. He should damn-well have known better as a unit-command grade officer, to tip the way he did. Well beyond disappointing…solidly into STFU territory.
Sajan, my cousin worked with him on the west coast. Said he was competent and thoughtful and had high hopes for him when we entered federal politics. So WTF happened to him?

Sajan, my cousin worked with him on the west coast. Said he was competent and thoughtful and had high hopes for him when we entered federal politics. So WTF happened to him?
Competence in one field does not equal competence in all fields.

He likely was a competent police officer, and CAF member, but politics is a different beast entirely.

Last edited:
They sell their souls and the integrity they built to get those positions agreeing to row the same way as the leader.

Politics is a different beast entirely. Sajjan could be an absolute beauty and people would still hate him just because of the colour of his tie.

I met him a few times, seemed like a nice guy tbh.

I think he got used by the LPC. When your support base is rock solid you can and will be used as a bullet sponge to draw fire to deflect away from other failings.

Back