• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Change from NCM to officer

Yazanai

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone please advise me, I’m 43 year and I have university degree. I applied for Information system technician (NCM) because I thought my age maybe over to be officer and this trade in my field of rand work. I did the CFAT test this week after the test Officer met me and told me you’re university degree why you didn’t choose to be officer and there is signal officer is close to your work experience, when I told him because of my age, he said age is doesn’t matter your chosen as NCM is only need high school and you have a degree and then said I won’t change anything right now still the security check will take time, go think about it and read about it. My questions are:
1- Since he didn’t told me anything about what I did test, is this mean I did well?
2- Can I change the occupation now to Signal officer since it’s in demand now or wait until security check done and discuss this with them during medical appointment? And can I add officer and keep the NCM also in case I don’t pass in physical test then I can go with NCM?

Thank you in advance

assuming you are going regular force my personal recommendation is if you can go officer then do it. Over the long run your base pay will be better and when you retire your pension will be higher. I also suggest you contact your recruiting staff to discuss this soonest.

And can I add officer and keep the NCM also in case I don’t pass in physical test then I can go with NCM?

Thank you in advance
You can only apply for officer "or" NCM; one or the other, not both at the same time.. As for the medical, it doesn't matter whether it's for officer or NCM. All potential recruits have to meet the same minimum medical standard.

assuming you are going regular force my personal recommendation is if you can go officer then do it. Over the long run your base pay will be better and when you retire your pension will be higher. I also suggest you contact your recruiting staff to discuss this soonest.
Thank you. And do you think since he discussed these with me after test that I did well in test? Or doesn’t matter? Because he didn’t tell me anything about test.

I doubt they would have discussed an officer position with you if you didn't perform well enough on the CFAT to be competative.
As for age, I joined the CAF at age 19 as an NCM and went officer when I was 41; you're not too old at 43 to become an officer.

Back