• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future sailor.

jazzy0410

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello there,

In about 6 months times, i'd like to join the Navvy. I'd like to join now but i want to get in shape/finish my community college (cegep from people from Quebec)  diploma and even thought it won't change  anything (because i won't be using it) it's better to have some sort diploma in subject X than only a high school diploma right? Also, i just turned 25. I hope i'm not 'too old' to join. I've been wanting to  do this since high school but everybody keeping saying i should a college diploma first.

I was wondering about few things. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm learning toward NES op but i'm not sure. Other careers i'm considering are NCI OP or sonar operator.  Any insights about the differences and pro/cons about them?  On the recruiting websites, it says nes op is a career in demand- what does that  mean exactly? that i'll go trough my training faster?

Also, obviously i am woman HAHA. Being a minority in certain situations doesn't bother me - i used to be in Cadets from 12 and till i graudaded high school  but one hears so many horror stories about military - i'm wondering how are the gender relations in the navy ? Of course, they are jerks like everywhere else, i can tune thoses people out fairly easily as long it's not how the majority of the navy thinks!

Also- about bmq - i'm not really scared since i'm somewhat athletic and like being active. I try to swim 3-4 a week and take aikido classes fairly often too & apparently i have lots of upper-body strength  but the thing is i don't really go to the gym and lifts wheight ans use the cardio machines- i'd rather do sports and stuff like that. I talked to the recruiter about that but he said to not worry about that but i dont know if he just says that so i enroll or not. Do you have any suggestions of exercices or way i could cross-train or i should join  my local gym and stop whining.

like i said,  any insights about any of theses things will be useful.
Thanks a lot in advance.

jazzy0410 said:
I'd like to join now but i want to get in shape/finish my community college (cegep from people from Quebec)  diploma and even thought it won't change  anything (because i won't be using it) it's better to have some sort diploma in subject X than only a high school diploma right?

Education's an education.  However much you bring into the Navy makes you a more rounded individual.  And don't be surprised if there's some way to apply it to your job at some point.

Also, i just turned 25. I hope i'm not 'too old' to join.

Hardly too old.  The average recruit age is getting older -- I've seen as old as late 40's/early 50's.  Use your age to your advantage.

If only I had obtaind my education before I had decided to join!  :-\

Hey jazzyo410!

I'm in the same boat as you (well...not yet anyway....;). I'm finishing some studies to get in as a NW TECH, or MAR ENG MECH.

You might want to check this out.
http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/34712.0.html

I've found many good tips there for training. Also, have you been to the recruiting office downtown on St-Catherine? I would recommend talking to Sgt. Lawson, he is a good guy and he knows his stuff.

As far as NES OP being in demand, that means there is a need for people to fill that position, and it is the recruiting offices' priority to fill such jobs. They'll try to steer you to those jobs instead of not-so-in-demand positions.

Good luck!
Jamie

Hi there!  Welcome, and good luck in whatever you choose. 

I am a former NES OP, and if recruiting is stating that NES OP is in demand (which it generally is), it only means that they are short of people working in the positions right now.  Generally, NCI OP and TAS OP are short too, so it shouldn't really matter.  I wouldn't think that you training will be sped up, or delayed regardless of the trade you choose, because for all three Operator trades, the training is continuous.  Ci tu pris ton course en francais, cette une histoire different. (sorry for whatever errors).  Generally, there are fewer courses offered in the French language. 

In choosing which career you want to choose, you have to decide what interests you.  NES OP (at least at the advanced levels) is more based on Electronic Warfare, and there is an element of physics (pulse train analysis to it).  NCI OP is a generally busier trade on a day to day basis, but (in my humble opinion), not as technologically advanced in the long run.  TAS OP is probably the most advanced, and requires the greatest amount of continual training (again IMHO), but on a day to day basis, offers the least reward or job satisfaction. 

Ultimately, it will depend on your interests.  As most people will suggest, try and call a ship on either cost, and talk to people involved in each of the trades and ask the about their experiences and thoughts.  Nothing can beat first hand experience. 

Good luck in your choice, and good luck in your career!

Back