• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hello, and I was wondering...

C

Coniar

Hello, I am a High School student in B.C. and am seriously thinking of joining the regular army under the ROTP plan and I thought it would be best to ask some real people about the proffession. I am just curious in general about the Army and in particular the Armor. I am currently 14 and have decided that Armor was the field I was most interested in. I would greatly appreciate some insite into life in the Army and in particular the Armor.

Thankyou. :cdn:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I always thought, armor was French for love?

While armour were big greasy, smelly things, inhabited by little huddling groups of men, who are also greasy and smelly things. Always having a brew up, from their constantly on the boil water boiler, and producing gastronomical delights from the vast array of foodstuffs and condiments that they carry in their many hiding placed on the big greasy, smelly things. Who every night, sleep in absolute comfort on their stretchers and inside their sleeping bags to the strains of classical music coming from their multitude of electronic devices containing within the big greasy, smelly thing.

Signed,
Envious, ex-plodding person, who carried his home on his back for many years.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

Hi Jock,

Lets not forget that they are driving the only pay phone on the battle field. Just don‘t hang on to the receiver when they take off, or BACK UP. :p

Are you guys implying that the greasy smelly guys that inhabit the greasy smell things have nothing to do with "amour"? :D
Don‘t forget the lawn furniture, pink flamingos, and cans of libation that can fit in the nook and crannies of the big smell greasy things. :rolleyes:

You make it sound nice and dry. Here In vancover your lucky to find any place dry :) and I can see how holding on to the phone to long could be fairly serious problem ;)

Thanks for the input :)

Coniar :cdn:

Which brings to mind a familiar cartoon. The crew commander of the big, greasy smelly thing, from his position in the turret, looks down over his steaming cup of java, to the obviously rankled and bagged out section commander knee deep in mud and states( with a grin) " The enemy is three thousand meters that way,......we‘ll support you from here! :D

and I can see how holding on to the phone to long could be fairly serious
Conair, On the back side, err, stern of a tank is a phone for use by a lowly grunt, etc, sometimes called the ‘tank phone’. It is used to talk to the crew inside.

Hence the mobile phone booth, there are a couple other euphemisms, but I think ‘tank phone‘ is the main one.

yeah I guessed that I was fairly sure the wherent actually carrying around a pay phone (that would just be silly).
Thanks again everyone for all the help I really apreciate it.

Just ‘cause it‘s silly doesn‘t mean that it wouldn‘t happen in the army. Indeed, some might say it makes things more likely. But true, a real phone booth would only be carried by Sigs and then only for a major ex like RV.

All I can say is, why walk when you can ride? And when you break down, call the wrecker, and ride and ride again.
Hoochie or crew tent? Whats that? Recline the seat...insta-bed. Hibachi‘s fit perfectly in the upper side bin on the LSVW, including the tank!
Getting bored of the long route recce‘s you are doing? Find a convenient deep ditch and drop your vehicle in it. Relax and take in a tan while you wait for the wrecker from London.
;)

The real and proper term for the phone is ITT (inter tank telephone), and yes there‘s more than one who forgot to let go, absentmindedly put it in his pocket, etc, and found themselves well down the trace from their men. :D

well
The Armour Corp is going to the way side. Join the Inf or better the AirForce. For the following reasons:
1. You don‘t train anymore. Its not fun anymore.
2. The grunts go more places.ie UN/Nato tours.
3. The Inf run the Army.
4. Most soldiers are getting out, does that tell you it sucks.
5. I have more but I won‘t live that long.
6. Thats why I‘m getting out, JTF here I come.
I know I‘m a Reg Force Sgt Armour, doing it 24/7.
Sgt J. CD,CDS com RCD, Bold and Swift/ Airborne Armour Recce, Airborne
PS; RecceGuys, I‘ll be down home the first week of June, E-mail me, I might go to the mess.

If I was in this for the perks I would go become a polotician
I want to join the armor because Its what Ive always wanted to do If I was looking for money or something Id go become an engineer or a Lawyer both of wich look easyer to do than be in the army.

If you know you would love being in the armour corps, that is where you should be. A military career will never be held against you, and it probably will help get you in the door for many interviews at the point that you decide to retire. It is still viewed as a good place to learn disclipline, leadership, and management. I‘m sure it helped me get my first job as a lawyer, which leads to the following comment.

There are many ways to get rich: the army isn‘t one of them, and law is not a fast track to big money with no effort or stress. [It has potential, I hope, to let me make some money and to something I will feel good about. I discovered, however, that corporate law isn‘t the area to meet both of those goals, and the second is more important than the first.]

Not to burst anyone‘s bubbles, but my work as a lawyer in a major firm was much tougher than anything I did in the army -- although probably not as fulfilling.

The hours were much longer on a daily basis, I worked many more weekends, and when my hours were higher than usual, they were that way for far longer periods than when I was on ex. I suffered fatigue more often, and to an equal or greater degree. The work also has far less comraderie.

The pay at that level was excellent (although only on a total, not hourly, basis), but the money the average lawyer (who works hours comparable to most officers) makes is not really much better than in the military. The average lawyer also doesn‘t have a pension plan, and in many cases, he is or she the business owner and bears all the risk that goes along with that.

Suffice it to say, when you see a lawyer‘s "hourly rate" quoted, it does not mean he takes that home for every hour he is in the office. If he owns the practice, he gets between 40 and 50% of his billable (a billable hour being one actually spent working on the file - it doesn‘t touch admin, etc.). Otherwise, he probably gets about 20 - 25%. To get 30 billable hours, most lawyers work 40 hours. Your mechanic doesn‘t get paid $70 per hour, either, does he, but he probably gets a guarenteed number of hours per day by the guy who charges you $70 per hour to have your car in his shop.

Since you had no desire of going into law in the first place, you probably have re-affirmed that choice by now. But don‘t assume that the military is the only place you can go to find challenge, either. Stress often arises from challenge - check out who has high stress -- brokers, traders, police, firefighters, small business owers, etc. In many ways, the military actually reudes stress and makes it easier for you to do your job -- structure, organization, consistency of rules, quality leadership, etc. Of course, now that much of that is in turmoil, stress and its related illnesses are probably increasing.

Again, if you are driven to be in the army, I still say "go for it!". Best of luck.

As far as know there are know fast tracks to get rich without effort or stress.
What I meant was that I think youve probably got a better chance of having a Jaguar and a big house If you become a lawyer then if you become an officer in the armor.
Thanks for the encouragement and the tips.
Ill repeat this once again just incase people missed it the first time Im not expecting to make tons of money or sleep all day or become famous, I just want to do I job I will enjoy and will be happy doing. This repetition is specificly for Recce41 who really didnt have anything usefull to say. You may not like it but I belive I will as for the rest of you thanks a bunch You all really helped me see a little deeper into the life of an Armour Officer or Crewman and I think given what Ive heard here and other places Ill keep that it as a long term goal.

Thanks

Coniar :tank: :cdn:

Well yng man, don‘t let anyone fool you. The Corp sucks. I do this 24/7. When Officers and us Snr NCOs are getting off the sinking ship leave! I‘ve spent 3 weeks out in the field in the pass 9 months, compared to 3 weeks at home. That is why off to Ottawa I go.
My was to be posted to **** in the summer now, heaven. When the Army is asking people to leave the Corp. Something is up.
That is why go to a Base and ask around. There are 80% of the Cpls in Gagetown, getting out, or LOTP. And maybe 50% of the MCpls/Sgt/WOs going too.
Sgt J Canadian Decoration, Chief of Defence Staff Commandation

Hey conair not to rain on your parade but what recce41 said is true,i served with strats for 9 yrs before retreading to the airforce.You may go in full of piss and vinegar enjoy those early years,because when its the same training,same time of year and generally in the same areas it gets old real fast,espescially when theres no money in the budget to expand your capabilities as a soldier.If your very lucky you will get a brief chance on the leopard tank,im leo drv qual and it was the best 30 days in my armoured career.Then it was back to the grind.My adviceget in get what you can from they experience then get out and move on,sad but true and i do miss those pumped up days,but so long as the government continues to ignore the needs of the few you are spending your life on the whim of whatever politician can make himself look good, Good luck and gods speed. :tank:

Then there is the contrarian view - when everyone else is leaving, that‘s the best time to join. Career progression will be faster, and when things get better, you‘ll be well-placed to enjoy them.

Back