• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NDP Abandons Ship

People will forget if there’s someone worse.

Back in the early 2000s Dubya was the devil incarnate.
I don't think you can compare the two. Canadians appear to have much longer political memories. People still spit at trudeau senior, when he's mentioned. And that was 50 years ago. No, I think they'll be kicking Justine around long after I'm gone. Although I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240410_171822_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240410_171822_Instagram.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 10
Uh…Johnson? JFK? Nixon (yes he was after Trudeau’s first term)?

Lincoln?!
Mad Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Lincoln?!
Is it really that important to you? Because it's not to me. As per your request, I'm trying to be copecetic and non confrontational.

Is it really that important to you? Because it's not to me. As per your request, I'm trying to be copecetic and non confrontational.
Fair.

I was just rebutting the point about Americans not having long political memories. I may have gone too far.

No we won't. I do not fondly recall Trudeau The Elder being benevolent. I loath the man.

Most of family is dyed in the wool red Liberals back in South Frontenac and Stone Mills regions of Ontario, and they look back at Trudeau 1.0 as some sort of golden age in Canadiana. Mind you many were either young parents or growing up so I would suspect nostalgia mixed blind political affiliation is clouding judgments. Or perhaps they actually loved the man, the party and the policies.

I don't talk politics much back there as I only get to see they once a year, if I am lucky, and I don't want conflict during that period.

Lincoln?!
American politics. Their choice, their consequences. We might suffer or prosper with the right president but its not up to us.

Canadians who hyper focus on Dubya, Barrack, Trump, etc. are frankly choosing to ignore their own damn reality. Lets deal with the politics we can choose. On that note, those people I know in person who go on and on about Trump, are usually very ignorant about our own politics and tend to follow the sheep flock.

Most of family is dyed in the wool red Liberals back in South Frontenac and Stone Mills regions of Ontario, and they look back at Trudeau 1.0 as some sort of golden age in Canadiana. Mind you many were either young parents or growing up so I would suspect nostalgia mixed blind political affiliation is clouding judgments. Or perhaps they actually loved the man, the party and the policies.

I don't talk politics much back there as I only get to see they once a year, if I am lucky, and I don't want conflict during that period.
I was too young to fully understand what PET was doing, but I knew my parents disliked the man and were dyed-in-the-wool Tories/Socreds. In time, I learned about the damage he did to the country. But I also learned that he was an intellectual in his own right, had his own ideas and was passionate about them, and had a body of work that preceded his career in politics. Although I largely disagree with his ideas, he knew what he was talking about and had the intellectual chops for the job.

His son, on the other hand, is a sub-par performer with no intellectual backing and a famous last name. That Canadians thought he was ready for prime time in 2015 makes me shake my head.

As for the actual topic, I think we may see the beginning of the rush of soft-Dippers to the Liberals because PP has them scared shitless. My NDP wife is one of them. Since we moved to Winnipeg to a safe Liberal seat, she has not voted NDP federally. The other day when commenting on the CPC polling lead, she said “Ugh…that means I’m going to have to vote for that idiot again!”

The Liberals are going to try to eat Singh’s lunch and I don’t see him being able to stop him.

I was too young to fully understand what PET was doing, but I knew my parents disliked the man and were dyed-in-the-wool Tories/Socreds. In time, I learned about the damage he did to the country. But I also learned that he was an intellectual in his own right, had his own ideas and was passionate about them, and had a body of work that preceded his career in politics. Although I largely disagree with his ideas, he knew what he was talking about and had the intellectual chops for the job.

His son, on the other hand, is a sub-par performer with no intellectual backing and a famous last name. That Canadians thought he was ready for prime time in 2015 makes me shake my head.
I know people like my 4 aunts on my fathers side (they worshipped Trudeau SR) were super excited when Justin was running. And they have since put forth the worst arguments and biggest excuse mongering to defend him since.

I THINK (not know) is they had a rosy perspective of everything Pierre Trudeau and were pining for the days of yore

I know people like my 4 aunts on my fathers side (they worshipped Trudeau SR) were super excited when Justin was running. And they have since put forth the worst arguments and biggest excuse mongering to defend him since.

I THINK (not know) is they had a rosy perspective of everything Pierre Trudeau and were pining for the days of yore
The problem is the cult of perosnality.

Trudeaumania v1.0 and v2.0 were all based on a "new" face coming in to seismicly shift the status quo. Canadians wanted new ideas, new ways to do things, and wanted to get ahead from where they saw themselves; both geopolitically and domestically.

What amounted in both cases were 2 very flawed individuals that broke their promises routinely, acted with contempt towards our institutions and populace, and did little to move the ball down the field (or in some cases brought us back a few yards).

The infatuation is not with the results, but with the ideals. Change, renaissance, rejuvenation, forward thinking. The fact that its tied to an individual just goes to show the power of branding and image.

Give it time and we will see the same said of PP and the CPC, should they not deliver on their promises. Mulroney faced the same widespread support post Trudeau because it was promising change, and then reality set it.

The problem is the cult of perosnality.

Trudeaumania v1.0 and v2.0 were all based on a "new" face coming in to seismicly shift the status quo. Canadians wanted new ideas, new ways to do things, and wanted to get ahead from where they saw themselves; both geopolitically and domestically.

What amounted in both cases were 2 very flawed individuals that broke their promises routinely, acted with contempt towards our institutions and populace, and did little to move the ball down the field (or in some cases brought us back a few yards).

The infatuation is not with the results, but with the ideals. Change, renaissance, rejuvenation, forward thinking. The fact that its tied to an individual just goes to show the power of branding and image.

Give it time and we will see the same said of PP and the CPC, should they not deliver on their promises. Mulroney faced the same widespread support post Trudeau because it was promising change, and then reality set it.
Sometimes some change for the good does comes around. I initially voted for Harper in '06, I felt he did not hesitate to buy us C17s, Leopard 2s, CH47 back into the inventory, etc. On the overall economic side, he was actually not bad.

I agree cult of personality and what ideas (Ideology) people want to see is a factor. Most likely, some people are voting Pierre P in, but in truth most people are desperate to vote Trudeau (and Jagmeet) out hence Pierre will most likely win.

If he wins a majority, its government to succeed or fail.

Sometimes some change for the good does comes around. I initially voted for Harper in '06, I felt he did not hesitate to buy us C17s, Leopard 2s, CH47 back into the inventory, etc. On the overall economic side, he was actually not bad.

I agree cult of personality and what ideas (Ideology) people want to see is a factor. Most likely, some people are voting Pierre P in, but in truth most people are desperate to vote Trudeau (and Jagmeet) out hence Pierre will most likely win.

If he wins a majority, its government to succeed or fail.
And like revolutionaries it will take time for them to learn how to govern, which this current GoC never really did.

I don't think you can compare the two. Canadians appear to have much longer political memories. People still spit at trudeau senior, when he's mentioned. And that was 50 years ago. No, I think they'll be kicking Justine around long after I'm gone. Although I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it.
That would be me ... I was a Liberal voter as a youngster; I believed Mike Pearson was a better leader than John Diefenbaker and had a better team and a better plan. Then came 1965 and the 'Trois colombes:' Marchand, Pelletier and Trudeau. Although I disagreed with Jean Marchand on many issues I admired and respected him as a man and as a leader. I thought Gérard Pelletier's ideas on "communications" went overboard but were harmless, but I thought, even than, in my 20s, that Pierre Trudeau was wrong for the Liberal party and bad for Canada.

That’s an interesting counterpoint to the pretty rosy view of him when he passed away earlier this year.

That’s an interesting counterpoint to the pretty rosy view of him when he passed away earlier this year.
Didn't speak to his character as a politician or a person, merely the reality of the world around him.

Trudeau the Elder left the economy in shambles, the Cold War was heating up again, the failed Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords were political flops, NAFTA depending on who you talked to.... I can go on. Eventually, people soured to it.

Everyone has a plan until the first round impacts.

Back